You may be aware if you have attended any of our library’s monthly genealogy programs that when we have a speaker that you often see me in the back of the room videotaping the speaker’s program. We just started doing this in February 2012.
A big thank you to all of the speakers we have had in 2012 that have allowed me to videotape the program in order to create a DVD and add that into our DVD collection. The speaker does not have to allow me to videotape the program. So far, all of the speakers for 2012 have given me permission to videotape the program!! This means that you can check out the DVD from our collection to view at home if you missed the program or if the topic is one that interests you.
You can find these DVDs in our collection by searching our library catalog using the search words “genealogy program”. You will find these videotaped programs in the list of hits returned from the search. If you click on the title of the returned hit and then click on the link for “catalog record”, you will see more details for the program such as the date the program was recorded, the length in time of the recorded program, and my name “Anthony H. Kierna” should be shown as the one that videotaped the program.
So far we have 5 programs recorded that are available for you to check out from our library for viewing at home on DVD. One additional recorded program from November 13, 2012 is in the “pipeline” being cataloged.
Here is a summary of what is in our library to check out in case you missed the program and would like to see it:
- “Using Railroad Records in Your Family History Research” by Craig Pfannkuche. Recorded on February 14, 2012. 1 Hour 13 Mins. Call number is DVD 929.1072 USI.
- “Making Sense of the English Census” by Paul Milner. Recorded on April 10, 2012. 1 Hour 12 Mins. Call number is DVD 929.3 MIL.
- “Military Records” by Kathryn Barrett. Recorded on May 8, 2012. 1 Hour 22 Mins. Call number is DVD 929.3 MIL.
- “Hiring A Professional Genealogist” by Jeanne Larzalere Bloom. Recorded on July 10, 2012. 1 Hour 44 Mins. Call number is DVD 929.1072 HIR.
- “Organize and Share Your Family History” by Steve Szabados. Recorded on October 9, 2012. 1 Hour 20 Mins. Call number is DVD 929.20973 ORG.
So if you routinely attend our monthly genealogy program but happened to miss one this year, chances are good it is one in the list above. You can now check it out for an “encore” presentation in your own home.
Or if the title just sounds like a good one even if you have never attended our program, then by all means it is now available for you to check it out and view at home on DVD.
I am so glad I have been able to make these recordings and then make them available via DVD to check out and view at home.
Take advantage of this additional resource to advance your own research by viewing, or re-viewing, a program presented by one of our genealogy speakers.
Even if you attended the program yourself in person, perhaps you might have missed an important point. Here is your chance to view it again and hear the major points again. I sometimes find hearing it a second time is when you clarify something you may not have understood the first time in person. You can always rewind back to look again!
Enjoy the DVDs!
Schaumburg Township District Library