For those of you who have attended some of our very recent genealogy programs, you have heard me announce that our library had applied for and was in the process of becoming a FamilySearch Affiliate Library.
I am happy to announce that we are now in fact a functioning FamilySearch Affiliate Library!
What does this mean?
It means that for those doing Family History research, our library as an Affiliate Library will have access to more digital microfilm data for those viewing the FamilySearch website (www.familysearch.org) from within all of our library locations than a researcher can access from their home location. Users of FamilySearch from within our library locations simply need to log-in to FamilySearch with their FamilySearch Username and Password and then start using the FamilySearch website.
You don’t have a Username/Password with FamilySearch? No problem. Just sign up for a FREE Username with FamilySearch directly at their website at www.familysearch.org.
Use our library computers or use your own laptop, tablet or smart phone while in any of our 3 locations when you are connected to our Wi-Fi network at that location.
It’s as simple as:
- Visit one of our 3 library locations
- Use one of our library’s public computers or connect your laptop, tablet or smart phone to the Wi-Fi network of that location.
- Go to the FamilySearch website at www.familysearch.org and sign in with them with your FREE FamilySearch Username and Password
- Search for FREE for your ancestors among the FamilySearch databases using a surname OR search the FamilySearch catalog for FREE for a geographic area associated with your ancestors.
- Add to your family tree with the surname search results you receive for FREE.
- Add to your family tree with the additional digital microfilm data images of records you can view for FREE when searching the FamilySearch online catalog for the places where your ancestors lived.
FamilySearch Affiliate Library status can connect you to more FREE digital data (previously in the form of microfilms) than you can get access to from home. The additional data is especially noticeable when using the FamilySearch online catalog and looking for geographic locations where your ancestors may have lived. In most cases, more of those digital data films are available to you from within our library than if you did the same geographic search from your home in the FamilySearch online catalog.
That is the benefit to you of us becoming a FamilySearch Affiliate Library.
Personally, when I access the FamilySearch online catalog from home and do a “place name” search for various ancestral Polish villages, I see the various digital data files but they are indicated to me as restricted from home. These can be viewed at a Family History Center or at a FamilySearch Affiliate Library such as we are now. I can now view a significantly larger amount of the digital microfilm data material of my Polish ancestral villages from within our library. YIPPEE!
Start your family tree or add to your family tree with more data that you can now access from our library’s locations through our library’s FamilySearch Affiliate Library status than you can access from home!
Schaumburg Township District Library