I have just been informed that the Schaumburg Township District Library (STDL) is in the process of creating a new policy for our magazine section of the library on the 2nd floor of our library. This new developing change will allow STDL patrons the ability to check out magazines from our library to read at home. Our current policy does not allow this to happen today.
As of now this change is still in the works. I do not have a target date to share with you at this point.
When we activate this new library policy regarding the checking out of magazines, here are the rules you can expect that will apply towards this new policy:
- The check out period for magazines will be for one week.
- There will be no renewals allowed on the magazine.
- There will be no holds allowed to be placed on the magazines.
- There will be no reserves allowed to be placed on the magazines.
- There will be a limit of 5 magazines that can be checked out per patron.
- The ability to check out magazines will be limited only to those patrons who were issued their library card by our library (STDL). You will not have this borrowing privilege at our library if your library card was issued to you by another library (Check with your library if they have a magazine checkout policy).
- A 10 cents per day late fee will be charged for magazines not returned in a timely manner.
- Only magazine issues for the current year will circulate. The very most current magazine will not be allowed to be checked out so other users in the library can access it. Any issues after the most current for the current year will be allowed to be checked out.
Please understand that this new policy is a work in progress. Changes could still be made while this new process is unfolding.
I do not have a specific target date at this point to share with you when this new service will start.
As I am made aware of a start date then I will certainly share this information with you via a blog post.
For all of you doing genealogy research this certainly means that you will in the near future be able to check out the second most current issue of a variety of genealogical magazines and journals we have in our collection. You would be able to read them in a more leisurely manner at home after having checked out the magazine rather than just being able to review the journal within our library under today’s policy.
The most current magazine will not be allowed to be checked out so that it will always be available for use in the library. Older issues for the current year will be able to be checked out.
I wanted to share this development with you at this time so you can begin to look forward to the day when STDL cardholders will be able to check out our genealogical magazines for a more leisurely read at home.
Keep checking back here at our blog to find out when this new policy will take effect.
Schaumburg Township District Library