When we have our monthly genealogy program at the library, I often put out a basket that contains old journals, book advertisements and the like that allows the participant to browse through the material and take whatever catches their interest. That is why we call it our “freebies” basket.
Perhaps we had an older edition of the journal Ancestry. Or maybe we even had some older versions of Heritage Quest. Maybe even some older versions of Internet Genealogy or the like. Perhaps the participant was not aware of these journals or items and might want to actually read through one to gauge what it is or was about. Maybe that would trigger the participant to subscribe to a current journal or look in our collection for past issues to read. This basket offered the opportunity to find material like this that you were welcome to take and become familiar with.
The basket over the last year has looked a little empty and undernourished!!
Translation: We were not getting any new material given to us to showcase in the basket!
Jennifer Holik, our recent guest speaker for our February 12, 2013 Genealogy Program brought a large, heavy box of new material that we can now feed to our undernourished “Freebies” basket.
Jennifer, I don’t know how you carried it from your car and delivered it to our 2nd floor meeting room. Man, that was heavy!!
You truly are skilled in the intelligentsia of genealogy as well as the physicality of genealogy to lug that box of material as far as you did!
We offer you a big “Thank You” for giving us this material to share and recycle to other genealogists that might have a direct interest in some of the material you provided.
Rather than just put this box out with all of its materials, I actually went through the material and did a “simple” inventory of what was all there. That way I could give an advance “heads up” as to what will be in our “freebies” basket at our next program on Tuesday evening, March 12, 2013.
Here is all of what is in the new “freebies” material in no particular order:
- NGS Magazine – 3 issues – Oct/Dec 2009, Apr/Jun 2009, Jan/Mar 2010.
- Beginner’s Guide to Genealogical Research from the Southern California Genealogical Society
- GSNJ Newsletter (Genealogical Society of New Jersey) – 6 issues – Spring 2010, Summer 2010, Fall and Winter 2010, Spring/Summer 2011, Fall 2011, Winter 2011
- Show Me State Genealogical News (Missouri State Genealogical Society) – 2 issues – Summer 2011, Fall 2011
- Indiana Genealogist (Indian Genealogy Society) – 3 issues – June 2010, Sep 2010, Dec 2010
- The Review (DuPage County Genealogical Society Quarterly) – 2 issues – Feb 2012 and May 2012
- Crossroads (Utah Genealogical Society) – 2 issues – Dec 2010, Autumn 2011
- California Nugget (California Genealogical Society) – 4 issues – Spring 2009, Fall 2009, Spring 2010, Fall 2010
- Gleamings (McClean County Genealogical Society, IL) – 4 issues – Fall 2008, Spring 2009, Fall 2009, Spring 2010
- Saga of Southern Illinois (Genealogical Society of Southern Illinois) – 2 issues – Fall 1991, Jan/Mar 2006
- Journal (Missouri State Genealogical Society) – 5 issues – All 4 for 2011, 1st issue for 2012
- The Professional’s Voice (Association of Professional Genealogists) – 4 issues – Dec 2009, Sep 2010, Dec 2010, Dec 2011
- Illinois State Genealogical Society Quarterly - 3 issues – Summer 2011, Fall 2011, Winter 2011
- New England Ancestors (New England Historic and Genealogy Society) – 3 issues – Holiday 2008, Spring 2009, Fall 2009
- American Ancestors (New England, New York and Beyond) – 3 issues – Fall 2010, Spring 2011, Summer 2011
- Family Tree Magazine – 10 issues – Sep 2009, March 2010, August 2010, Jan 2011, Mar 2011, Jul 2011, Sep 2011, Dec 2011, Jan 2012, Mar/Apr 2012
- National Genealogical Society Quarterly – 3 issues – June 2009, Sep 2009, Dec 2009
- Genealogical Magazine of New Jersey (Genealogical Society of New Jersey) – 8 issues – 2010 List of Articles, 2011 List of Articles, Jan 2010, May 2010, Sep 2010, Jan 2011, May 2011, Sep 2011
- The Searcher (Southern California Genealogical Society) – 1 issue – Winter 2012
- Austin Families Association of America Newsletter – 11 issues – Mar 2009, Oct 2009, Feb 2010, May 2010, Nov 2010, Aug 2010, Feb 2011, May 2011, Aug 2011, Nov 2011, Feb 2012
Wow! That is a big list. I did want to itemize the material and provide a preview in case anyone sees something from the list that might interest them.
All of the above material will be in its own box on a table in the room where our March 12, 2013 program will take place.
You are encouraged to browse through all of this material and help yourself to anything in the box that catches your eye.
Once again, a very big thank you to Jennifer Holik for lugging this heavy box of material to make available to all of you that attend our monthly program.
Maybe there is something of note for you in the above.
Maybe there is nothing.
But at least it gets the chance to recycle through and catch someone’s eye pertinent to their own genealogical interests.
Schaumburg Township District Library