You can find informal genealogy teaching videos via YouTube videos. You can find video learning resources through FamilySearch and Ancestry.com.
But if you are looking for a more formal online program with real classes and real tests and a real instructor you can turn to an online database we have at our library. It is called Gale Courses and is available for those who have been issued a library card through the Schaumburg Township District Library. Only those having a card issued by us can get access to this nice material regardless if you are accessing it from home or from inside our library building.
If you are not part of our library, check with your own local library that issued you your card to see if they have the online database called “Gale Courses”.
Gale Courses is far more than genealogy. Just try entering in any topic you can think of related to learning something new in a more formal manner and see if they have it. Think of Accounting, Microsoft Word, Photography, eBay, Teaching or whatever topic comes to your mind. There is an entire listing of topics of subjects they have that you can browse through when you gain access to Gale Courses.
I noticed there is also a course titled “Write Your Life Story” that can go hand-in-hand with Genealogy.
Here are the steps to follow to get you to the Gale Courses part of our database resources to access the Genealogy Course that is part of the database:
- Go to our home page at www.schaumburglibrary.org
- Select the “Research and Genealogy” Tab at the top of the home screen.
- On the right side of the screen look for the “Alphabetical List of Databases” descriptor and select the letter “G”.
- “Gale Courses” will be the first database in the “G” listing of databases. Select it.
- When you are now in the Gale Courses database just enter “Genealogy” as your search term in the search box.
- You will then see one result that is noted as “Genealogy Basics”. Click on the course to obtain the “Detail”, “Syllabus”, “Requirements”, “Student Reviews” and “About the Instructor”
- Take a look at the “View Demo” link for each class. It provides you with a sample of the “Lessons”, “Resources”, “Quizzes”, “Assignments”, and “Discussions” for you get a real feel of what you can expect to encounter should you enroll.
- If you want to take a course, click on “Enroll Now” and it will take you through the process of registering and providing your Schaumburg Township District Library card information.
A colleague of mine from another library is actually enrolled in this program through her own library. I hope to hear updates from her on her experience in taking this online Genealogy course.
I hope she passes!!
Take a look at this wonderful resource we offer at our library that is also available to home users. It is only available to cardholders from our library whether you are using it in our library or from home.
Just wanted to let you know of this wonderful resource especially in light of the fact it contains a Basic Genealogy Program.
Explore the resource just to see what it is all about. Anyone can do that whether you are in our library or from home via our web per the above database selection process noted above. You only need to prove you are a Schaumburg Township District Library cardholder when you want to actually enroll.
See if there is a class there that perhaps you have always wanted to take. Explore the database.
Schaumburg Township District Library