My name is Tony Kierna.
I am the Genealogy Coordinator for the Schaumburg Township District Library that is located in Schaumburg, Illinois. We are a public library in the Northwest Suburbs outside of the city of Chicago, Illinois.
I am doing this blog for our library for a variety of reasons, some of which are:
- This blog will be used to publicize our monthly library Genealogy Program that occurs on the 2nd Tuesday evening of each month at 7:30 PM. The program lasts each of these nights until between 9:15 PM and 9:30 PM. We have guest speakers during the months of January, February, April, May, July, August, October and November on a variety of genealogical topics. During the months of March, June, September and December we instead have “Break Out” sessions. There is no guest speaker. Instead we form different groups based on ethnic areas of research interest e.g. Irish Group, German Group, Polish Group, Italian Group etc. I also lead a “Beginner’s Group” during these sessions. We also have the computer and projector in the room so anyone can use the Internet. Information on the ethnic area of research is shared among researchers at each group in an informal and unstructured manner. I am also available to guide “newbies” or anyone else interested in sitting at the Beginner’s Table.
- I also plan on posting various research tips and insights into making genealogy researchers better at what they do.
- Our blog will serve as the electronic repository for our monthly Schaumburg Township District Library Genealogy Newsletter in PDF format as well as for our Program Handouts that are now in electronic PDF format. The paper newsletter and paper handouts will be discontinued. The blog will be source to access this material from now on.
- I will use the blog to post any change of our planned genealogy program topic or inability of a speaker to attend.
- I will use the blog to notify if a genealogy program is going to be cancelled due to the closing of our library due to a weather emergency. We have had a few winter disruptions that involved closing our library earlier than the norm.
- I will monitor comments being left on any posts and will certainly answer any questions as best as I can.
- This blog will serve as an anchor point for all of those local participants at our monthly genealogy program to tap into for genealogical information as it applies to our library and our monthly genealogy program.
This is my first time blogging to such an extent. I plan on learning as much as I can about WordPress and their methods so this blog will be meaningfully presented and offering good amounts of information. WordPress offers much and I plan on learning this process over time.
Watch and see how we do as we embark on this effort in the ever-growing blogging world!
Keep in touch through the blog!
I hope that your visits will be rewarding.
Schaumburg Township District Library